Click on
Thumbnails
below

Description — clicking on underlined text brings up extra full size images of each piece

Stock number

Victorian ceramic plate Spode Castle pink c. 1900 original transfer rare

A Victorian ceramic side plate transfer printed in pink in Spode Castle pattern, c. 1900, accompanied by one of the tracing paper transfers used to produce an identical plate (stamped with the same mark as on the plate but in reverse and with an inked note it was to be printed in pink).
Price: £850.00

Transfer printing was developed in England in the 1750s and works by the printing of an image on a steel roller onto paper and then transferred on to the body of a ceramic dish or vessel. This process made it substantially cheaper to produce decorated wares and thereby made them available to a much greater part of the population.

Each impression from the copper plate was destroyed in the production of a piece of ceramic. Although an example can be found in the Victoria and Albert Museum the uniting of a printed transfer and an example of the ceramic it would, if used have produced is very rare to find.

8183z
Elizabeth I property deed Simon Scudamore Finchley Goldsmith

A property deed dated 1574 for a property in Ballards Lane bought by Simon Scudamore, Citizen and Goldsmith .
Price: £475.00

This deed details the purchase on 8th September 1574 of a property in Ballards Lane, Finchley (now in North London) by Simon Scudamore (1526-1609), Citizen and Goldsmith from Robert Barnes of Finchley Yeoman. The property was formerly owned by William Godolphin II (d. 1575) who had been Member of Parliament for Bedford in 1553.

Scudamore (also spelt Skidmore) was apprenticed to Bartholemew Clevering in 1544 and had married Jane, daughter of Jasper Edwards by 1562. He was assessed as having lands worth £20 in the lay subsidy of 1576. It is also known that he was a practising Roman Catholic. He was prosecuted for this in 1598 and fined £80 for "not having attended any church, chapel or usual place of common prayer since 1590". By the time of his death at Finchley on 29th March 1609 Scudamore appears to have conformed to the Church of England as he was buried in St. Mary's Church and a surviving brass depicts him and his wife (d. 1621).

7651
Culme Directory 1837-1914 A copy of both volumes of The Directory of Gold and Silversmiths ... 1837-1914 by John Culme (1987) .
Price: £395.00
7341
George III hand painted armorial Benjamin Bloomfield circa 1815

A small hand painted image of the coat of arms of Benjamin Bloomfield, 1st Baron Bloomfield (1768-1846).
Price: £250.00

Benjamin Bloomfield (1768-1846), the only son of John Bloomfield a lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards, followed his father into the army in 1781. After being an early recruit into the horse artillery Bloomfield was attached to the 10th Hussars (despite his relative poverty), as a Major and commander of a troop. He was posted to Brighton where his social and musical accomplishments brought him to the notice of the Prince of Wales, later Prince Regent and King George IV.

From 1810 Bloomfield had an unofficial role as chief spymaster against George's wife Caroline. The Prince and Princess were separated and George wanted a divorce. Bloomfield received further (official) promotions in 1812. The Prince then appointed Bloomfield as one of his gentleman attendants, chief equerry and clerk-marshal and, in the Prince's interest, Member of Parliament for Plymouth. In 1814 a commission as Major General followed and in 1815 Bloomfield was made a Knight Commander of the Hanoverian Order (an order closely associated with George IV). The rise in Bloomfield's fortunes continued when in 1816 he became chief auditor and secretary of the Duchy of Cornwall (the main land holding and income source of the Prince of Wales) and finally Private Secretary to the Prince in 1817.

Bloomfield fell from favour in 1822 and resigned all of his Royal offices. However he did receive the Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath, a pension, two sinecure offices, the promise of a peerage and a diplomatic post in the future. From 1822-1832 Bloomfield served as British Ambassador to Stockholm and in 1825 was created Baron Bloomfield. He also returned to his military life and commanded the garrison at Woolwich for some years- during which he founded schools for children of the soldiers of ordnance corps (including his original regiment of the Royal Artillery).

A salt ladle and spice sifter made for Bloomfield during his time in Sweden can be found as stock number 7700.

7702
Victorian letter John Lowe Goldsmith cousin salt mining 1840

A Victorian letter from H[ugh] C[awley] Dutton to his cousin John Lowe of Chester, Goldsmith, 1840 (with seal attached) regarding their joint salt mining business .
Price: £180.00

The Lowe family are recorded in Chester from the first half of the 17th century. John Lowe I of Chester (1804-1864) was the 9th child of George Lowe I of Chester, both of whom identified themselves as Goldsmiths and who were leading members of the Goldsmiths Company of Chester. George Lowe I married Mary Cawley, daughter of Robert Cawley of Tarporley, in 1792. Later the same year Joseph Dutton married Mary Lowe (nee Cawley) 's sister Sarah and Hugh Cawley Dutton (1799-1856) was their third son.

This letter gives details about the affairs, and possible sale of, a joint salt mining venture between the two cousins and the need for 'a person incapacitated for labour (though one of good character and who understands the manufacture of salt)' to keep an eye on it in the interim. Dutton goes on to add that 'the Railway trains take up and set down people at Beeston Junction' and that 'if John Attwood Junr wishes to have my donkey he must send for it soon or I shall dispose of it elsewhere'.

Following production of salt in Roman times in Cheshire the 1670s saw a salt bed (re)discovered at Northwich (Cheshire) by the Smith-Barry family but by the 1830s it was running low and the costs of extraction were high. It is in this context that this letter appears to have been written.

7873
George II Warning Carriers notice 1727

A George II Warning Carriers notice printed on September 12th 1727 and advertising the the loss of a sizeable diamond ring.
Price: £145.00

The Goldsmiths' Company appears to have had a system for distributing details of stolen goods as early as the mid 16th century. A reference of 1559 from the Goldsmiths' Company minute book gives the people in charge of this duty as 'ye Clerk, ye Beadle, and ye 2 brokers of this company'. In 1652 John Evelyn noted in his diary that he had '500 tickets printed and dispers'd by an officer of Goldsmiths' Hall'. In 1728 a Christopher Clark mentioned in court that he had gone to 'Goldsmiths-Hall, and caused his [stolen] Plate to be advertis'd by Description, and the Advertisements distributed to the several Silversmiths and Pawnbrokers around town'. This notice is similar to that which would have been issued for Christopher Clarke.

By the 18th century Goldsmiths who had fallen on hard times were employed to deliver the notices. The Goldsmiths' Company have in their archives a note book dated 1744 detailing the names of the 'Warning Carriers' and the routes around London that they followed. The notices they carried could be silver objects, watches, bank notes or, as in this case, jewellery. This example is annotated with the name 'Wright' and the word 'Double' indicating that it was delivered by Thomas Wright and double shows that it was given to 'Goldsmiths, jewellers, Watchmakers, Toymen, Salesmen and Pawnbrokers'. The fee for delivering these to the full list in 1744 was £1 3s 4d.

Further information on these Warning Carriers and the notices can be found in 'The Warning Carriers' by Judy Jowett published by the Silver Society in 2005. Jowett notes that 'to date few [examples of these notices have] come to light- the majority that have fall between November 1726... [and] June 1731'. In an appendix she lists 24 recorded examples.

 

 


8506z
George II Warning Carriers notice 1731

A George II Warning Carriers notice printed on July 1st 1731 and advertising the the loss of a number of bonds and bank notes as well as the lease of a house.
Price: £145.00

The Goldsmiths' Company appears to have had a system for distributing details of stolen goods as early as the mid 16th century. A reference of 1559 from the Goldsmiths' Company minute book gives the people in charge of this duty as 'ye Clerk, ye Beadle, and ye 2 brokers of this company'. In 1652 John Evelyn noted in his diary that he had '500 tickets printed and dispers'd by an officer of Goldsmiths' Hall'. In 1728 a Christopher Clark mentioned in court that he had gone to 'Goldsmiths-Hall, and caused his [stolen] Plate to be advertis'd by Description, and the Advertisements distributed to the several Silversmiths and Pawnbrokers around town'. This notice is similar to that which would have been issued for Christopher Clarke.

By the 18th century Goldsmiths who had fallen on hard times were employed to deliver the notices. The Goldsmiths' Company have in their archives a note book dated 1744 detailing the names of the 'Warning Carriers' and the routes around London that they followed. This example is annotated with the name 'Wright' and the word 'Single' indicating that it was delivered by Thomas Wright and single shows that it was given to 'bankers, jewellers, and goldsmiths only'. The fee for delivering these to the full list in 1744 was 11s 8d.

Further information on these Warning Carriers and the notices can be found in 'The Warning Carriers' by Judy Jowett published by the Silver Society in 2005. Jowett notes that 'to date few [examples of these notices have] come to light- the majority that have fall between November 1726... [and] June 1731'. In an appendix she lists 24 recorded examples.

 


8508z
George II Warning Carriers notice 1729

A George II Warning Carriers notice printed on March 24th 1729 and advertising the the loss of a sizeable diamond.
Price: £125.00

The Goldsmiths' Company appears to have had a system for distributing details of stolen goods as early as the mid 16th century. A reference of 1559 from the Goldsmiths' Company minute book gives the people in charge of this duty as 'ye Clerk, ye Beadle, and ye 2 brokers of this company'. In 1652 John Evelyn noted in his diary that he had '500 tickets printed and dispers'd by an officer of Goldsmiths' Hall'. In 1728 a Christopher Clark mentioned in court that he had gone to 'Goldsmiths-Hall, and caused his [stolen] Plate to be advertis'd by Description, and the Advertisements distributed to the several Silversmiths and Pawnbrokers around town'. This notice is similar to that which would have been issued for Christopher Clarke.

By the 18th century Goldsmiths who had fallen on hard times were employed to deliver the notices. The Goldsmiths' Company have in their archives a note book dated 1744 detailing the names of the 'Warning Carriers' and the routes around London that they followed.

Further information on these Warning Carriers and the notices can be found in 'The Warning Carriers' by Judy Jowett published by the Silver Society in 2005. Jowett notes that 'to date few [examples of these notices have] come to light- the majority that have fall between November 1726... [and] June 1731'. In an appendix she lists 24 recorded examples.

 


8507z
Victorian vegetable dish and cover Copeland Goldsmiths' Company circa 1850 A vegetable dish and cover, by Copeland circa 1870 (also with impressed mark), painted with the arms of the Goldsmiths' Company of London .
Price: £125.00
5939
George III advertising card Clark London pen knives

A George III printed advertising card for Thomas Clark of Exeter 'Change (London) referring to 'Two Knives, Well worth the inspection of the Admirers of the Arts' (One has 172 blades and the other 240), c. 1800.
Price: £110.00

Thomas Clark (1737-1816) was brought up as a farmer but in 1757 he moved to London and acquired a stall at the Exeter Exchange in the Strand. Initially he sold sticks but later specialised in cutlery. Through business acumen and frugality he acquired a large fortune and rode to his premises from his home in Pimlico daily on an old horse. From c.1773-1793 Clark also used part of his premises to house a menagerie that included Australian marsupials. From 1793 Clark left this venture and it was continued, in the same space, by George Piddock. When the Exeter Exchange was demolished in 1829 some of the animals then in residence went to the newly formed London Zoo.

8000z
Victorian silvermiths bill 1844 Ann Bruce

A Victorian jeweller, gold and silversmith's bill issued by Ann Bruce of 63 Jermyn Street, St. James's on 30th November 1844 for items associated with a vanity case (a hair brush, comb cleaner, button hook, toilet scissors etc) with the owner's 'crest and B old english [presumably gothic] script' engraved on them.
Price: £95.00

The New Court Gazette of 9th March 1844 has an advertisement placed by 'Mrs. Bruce, late of Cranbourn Street, Leicester Square' that she has moved to '63 Jermyn Street, just two doors from St. James's Street'. The advertisement gives Mrs. Bruce's profession as 'Jeweller and Silversmith'. In 1840 this address had been occupied by a tobacconist called Mr. Else that had caught fire and consumed the entire stock- luckily the family had escaped onto the roofs of adjoining houses and in the 1860s the tailors firm of F. B. Sanguinetti (who also had premises at 57 Wind Street, Swansea) were advertising from 63 Jermyn Street.


8509z
George II property deed vellum 1750 James Gould Goldsmith

A George II property deed on vellum between James Gould, Citizen and Goldsmith, and Ralph Phelps of Lyon's Inn, London Gentleman for property in Kingsbury in Dorset.
Price: £95.00

James Gould was the son of another James Gould, a grasier or butcher in Kingsbury in Dorset. The younger James was apprenticed to noted candlestick and taperstick maker David Green in 1714 through the Goldsmiths' Company and gained his freedom in 1722. He immediately entered his maker's mark (interestingly with an additional Britannia standard type one at the same time) and followed in his master's footsteps. In 1739, the same year as he received the Livery of the Goldsmiths' Company, his mark was noted in the records as that of a 'candlestick maker'. This James Gould died in 1747 and was followed by his eldest son- predictably another James (b. 1730 and apprenticed to his father in 1744). This James was still recorded as a candlestick maker in 1773. This deed seems to be the third James dealing with property still held by the family in Dorset.

8187
Victorian/Edward VII key chain Barmoor Castle Northumberland 1899-1913 Hodgkin

A Victorian/Edwardian key chain with a tag for Barmoor Castle and the name Hodgkin and a small fob with a reward of 3s if the key were returned to W. Thornhill of 144 New Bond Street, London (number 2378), 1899-1913 .
Price: £95.00

The first evidence of a castle at Barmoor is the Licence to Crenellate by Edward III in 1341 issued to the Muschamp family, who had held the lands since the Norman Conquest. This licence was, however, often granted to an existing structure. In 1541 a survey described the building as 'in extreme decay and almost ruinous for lack of reparations' and in 1649 the estate was sold to William Carr of Etal. Between the beginning of the eighteenth century and 1791 the estate was sold a number of times but was then inherited by the Sitwell family. In 1801 Edinbirgh architect John Paterson was employed to build the present Gothic revival house (extended in 1892).

Between 1899 and 1913 Brigadier W. H. Sitwell rented the castle to Thomas Hodgkin (1831-1913) the Barrister, Quaker Minister, Banker and prominent mediaeval historian. The dates of this tenancy already make the Thornhill fob an unusually early example of its type (and the fact that it was number 2378 indicates that the system had been running for some time). In the 1980s the house and around 200 acres were acquired by the Lamb family who use the land as a caravan park.

7752
Ellis Collection catalogue 1935 A copy of catalogue of the Ellis Collection of spoons offered by Sothebys, 1935 .
Price: £95.00
7536z
George V receipts Green Hatfield Ipswich 1936-1937

A group of 8 George V receipts for goods supplied to, and repairs done for, Green and Hatfield of Ipswich, antique dealers 1936-1937 .
Price: £75.00

These eight receipts all relate to goods supplied to and repairs done for Green & Hatfield based in the Old Curiosity Shop, Northgate Street Ipswich. The House was still occupied by Mr. Green into the 1980s and the bookshelves in the former shop are still in situ. Such was the reputation of Green and Hatfield that Queen Mary visited in 1938 and made several purchases. The new goods in this group of bills were supplied by Ellis and Company of Birmingham and the repairs were undertaken by H. Hunt (also of Birmingham).

7772
George VI receipt letters Wellby W. J. Thompson 1949

A George VI receipt from D. and J. Wellby of Garrick Street, London to W. J. Thompson with two letters following the transaction (with a Fortnum and Mason bill to Mrs. W. J. Thompson 1934), 1949 .
Price: £65.00

This typed invoice for £38 from D. and J. Wellby to W. J. Thompson was issued on 15th August 1949 and acknowledges receipt of a cheque for £25 towards the purchase of a silver cup and plinth. It was almost certainly accompanied by a letter from Marty Wellby to "Tommy" (indicating a close acquaintance) and expressing concern at the illness of Thompson's father, along with a willingness to accept a return of the cup. Sadly the third letter is one of condolence for Thompson's father. It also proves that both Wellby and Thompson senior were members of the Freemasons.

The Fortnum and Mason bill addressed to Mrs. W. J. Thompson Jun[io]r at Parkhurst Epsom. This proves that W. J. Thompson Senior was Walter James Thompson (d. 1949) who had been the senior partner in Messrs William James and Henry Thompson, Tea, rubber and colonial brokers, 38 Mincing Lane, London, EC. Parkhurst is still standing but has been offices since 1992.

7771
Gubbins sale catalogue

A sale catalogue of the Martin Gubbins Collection of Silver Spoons and Allied Wares that was held on Thursday 18th July 2002 at Bonhams in London.
Price: £45.00

This exceptional single owner sale represented a lifetime's collecting of, and interest in, silver (with particular emphasis on Scottish Provincial silver and that made in York). Our Stock number 7307 once formed part of this collection.

7538
business card Henry Oliver antique silver dealer circa 1930 hallmarks

A large business card for Henry Oliver, Dealer in antique silver of 9 Bartlett's Buildings, London c. 1930 (the reverse illustrates the London date letters from 1696-1835).
Price: £45.00

The firm of Henry Oliver, dealers in antique silver, ran from 1924-1966.

7770
William IV title page Ackermann's designs for Gold and Silversmiths Pugin 1836

A William IV title page to Ackermann's Designs for Gold and Silversmiths work by Augustus Wellby Pugin, 1836 .
Price: £35.00

In 1836 Rudolphe Ackermann published the first suite of metalwork designs by Augustus Welby Pugin (1812-1852). Pugin had already designed silver for Rundell, Bridge and Rundell but is best known in terms of metalwork for his church plate in Gothic Revival style for Hardman and Company of Birmingham (who he met shortly after this book was published). Augustus also had considerable success as an architect, including designing the interior of the Houses of Parliament and the Elizabeth Tower (now known, after the bell inside it, as 'Big Ben').

7816z
Lithograph

A chromolithograph of the 'Silver Vase & Tazzas by Mr. Hancock, London' exhibited at the International Exhibition in London in 1862, published in 1862 by Day & Son, Lithographers to the Queen..
Price: £35.00

Margins not shown

3945z
George VI invitation cards Boy Players Goldsmith's Hall London 1938

Two George VI cards relating to a performance by the Boy Players at Goldsmiths Hall London in 1938, The first is an invitation to the Master of the Founders Company and the second announces the postponement of the performance .
Price: £35.00

From 1419 a troupe of Boy Players were part of the fabric of the City of London but this ceased in 1609. The group was revived in 1929 and consisted of the choir boys of All Hallows Church (who were also the 1st City of London Scout Group - the second group to be established in England).

Due to the date of the performance and the dignitaries referred to these cards can only date from 1938. There is film footage taken by Pathe of the members of the Boy Players in 1938 available to watch.

7870
London Silver spoon makers T A Kent 1981 A copy of London Silver Spoonmakers 1500-1697 by T. A. Kent (1981), signed by the author .
Price: £30.00
7537z
Bookplate John Putland Dublin circa 1730

A George II bookplate for John Putland (1709-1773), c. 1740 .
Price: £40.00

John Putland (1709-1773) obtained his bachelor's degree at Trinity College, Dublin in 1731 and became a Master of Divinity there in 1734,although he never pursued an ecclesiastical career. He was very active in the life of the city as member of the Spiritual Society, a patron of the arts investing particularly in theatres, and a Freemason. He served as a magistrate in the 1740's, and later as High Sheriff for the County of Dublin. Putland's extensive library, comprising 1,650 lots was sold in 1847 on the orders of his grandson.

7951z
Bookplate portrait Treadway Nash 1793 c. 1750

A George II bookplate for and a George III engraved portrait of Treadway Nash (1724-1811) c. 1750 .
Price: £40.00

Treadway Nash (1724-1811) came from a family that had been established in Worcestershire since before the Reformation. Nash was educated at the King's School, Worcester and then Worcester College, Oxford. He then accompanied his elder brother on a journey to France. In 1751 Nash became vicar of Eynsham and gained his Doctorate in Divinity. Following the death of his brother in around 1757 Nash, now heir to the family estates, resigned the living of Eynsham and married Margaret Martin. While the couple were travelling to their newly leased home in Worcestershire, Bevere Manor, 'a bottle of Aqua Fortis spilt and the spirit running over some deal boxes which took fire and set the whole in a flame, property to the amount of 2000 l.[pounds] belonging to Dr. Nash, was unfortunately burnt, besides a good collection of books, and a very curious and valuable selection of drawings and prints, which he and his brother had purchased in France and Italy'.

In 1773 Nash developed an interest in the history of his home county and began to collect the historical documents relating to it. These were published by him in 1781. Nash's other published work was a new edition, with preface of Samuel Butler's poem Hudibras for which the portrait of Nash served as a frontispiece.

At his death in 1811 Nash left £60,000 over and above his landed estates. The drawings from his travels that survived the fire of 1758 were left to Worcester College where they remain.

7952z
Bookplate Sir Joseph Mawbey circa 1790

A George III bookplate of Sir Joseph Mawbey (1730-1798), circa 1770.
Price: £25.00

Joseph Mawbey (1730-1798) became a partner in his uncle's vinegar distillery in 1747 and from 1754 he and his brother were the remaining partners. In 1763 Mawbey bought Botleys, an estate in Surrey and rebuilt the mansion. Mawbey, looked down on by some of the Surrey gentry as a newcomer was created a Baronet in 1765. By 1775 Mawbey had retired from business having entered Parliament in 1761 as Member for Southwark - a seat he was to hold until 1774 after which represented Surrey (until 1790).

7954z
Edward VII business card Kishan Shand jeweller Delhi Simla

An Edward VII business card for 'Kishan Chand, Shawl Merchant , Jeweller, Dealer in Indian curios and Embroidery Manufacturer', of Delhi and Simla, 1902-1903.
Price: £20.00

The combination of names of the high ranking clients listed by Kishan Shand dates this card to 1902-1903. This is the only period where Queen Alexandra was Queen, Lord Curzon was Viceroy and Lord Northcote was Governor of Bombay.

7999z
Bookplate D'Olier c.1790

A George III bookplate of D'Olier c.1810 .
Price: £15.00

This bookplate could relate to the D'Olier family of Dublin. Many of this branch were active goldsmiths- Isaac (active c. 1731), Isaac Junior (active 1754-after 1763), Jeremiah (d. 1816) and Richard (active 1769-c. 1780).

7955z
Bookplate Henry Maister c.1760

A George II bookplate of Henry Maister of Kingston-upon-Hull (1669-1744), c. 1740 .
Price:SOLD

Henry Maister (c. 1669-1744) was a prominent merchant in Kingston-upon-Hull and its Member of Parliament from 1734-1741. Maister succeeded to the family mercantile business in 1716 which he ran with his brother Nathaniel. In 1724 he married Mary Tymperon (d. 1725) and in 1727 he married Mary Cayley, daughter of Sir Arthur Cayley 3rd Baronet. The house in which he lived in Kingston was rebuilt by his father following a fire in 1743 and is now owned by the National Trust.

 

7956z
Bookplate Lord Prestongrange c. 1760

A George II bookplate of Lord Prestongrange (1701-1764), c. 1750 .
Price: £25.00

William Grant (1701-1764) was a prominent Scottish politician and judge. He was admitted as an Advocate in 1722, Procurator of the Church of Scotland and Clerk to the General Assembly in 1731, Solicitor General for Scotland in 1737 and Lord Advocate in 1746. Grant then served as Member of Parliament for Elgin from 1747-1754, a Lord of Session, styled Lord Prestongrange, from 1754 and was a commissioner for annexed estates from 1755.

Grant was highly praised in his lifetime- Alexander Fraser Tytler wrote of his integrity, candour, and "winning gentleness", and says that his "conduct in the adjustment of the claims on the forfeited estates merited universal approbation". Grant as Lord Advocate was chief prosecutor at the trial of James Stewart (often called the Appin Murder) in May 1752.

7957z
Bookplate Henry Fly c. 1780

A bookplate of Henry Fly (1744-1833) c. 1780 .
Price: £25.00

Henry Fly (1744-1833) entered Brasenose College, Oxford in 1762 (aged 18) and gained his BA in 1766 (as well as gaining a Fellowship). An MA followed in 1773 with a Batchelors Degree and Doctorate in Divinity in 1797. Fly served as a 'Confessor to his Majesty's Household' as well as subdean and minor canon of St. Paul's (from 1783). He also held benefices at Trinity Church in the Minories (London), Willesden and Kingsbury-with-Twyford. In 1833 he died at St. James's Palace - presumably still a member of the Royal Court.

7958z
Bookplate Jeremiah Milles c. 1760

A George II bookplate of Jeremiah Milles DD (1714-1784), c. 1750 .
Price: £25.00

Jeremiah Milles (1714-1784) was educated at Eton College and Christchurch (Oxford) where he gained his BA in 1733, his MA in 1735 and a Batchelors Degree and Doctorate in Divinity in 1747. Following two 'Grand Tours' of Europe Milles began his ecclesiastical career as Precentor of Exeter in 1747 and Dean in 1762. Milles was also President of the Society of Antiquaries of London from 1768-1784.

7959z
Bookplate Robert Dalrymple Horn Elphinstone c. 1810

A George III bookplate of Robert Dalymple Horn Elphinstone (1766-1848) c. 1810 .
Price: £20.00

Robert Dalrymple Horn Elphinstone (1766-1848) had a successful military career culminating in his being Lieutenant Colonel of the Scots Fusiliers. In 1828 he was created a Baronet.

7960z
Bookplate 3rd Earl of Kerry circa 1790

A George III bookplate for the 3rd Earl of Kerry c. 1780 .
Price: £25.00

Francis Thomas FitzMaurice (1740-1818), became Third Earl of Kerry in 1747 on the death of his father. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin from 1755-1759 (receiving his BA in 1758 and his MA in 1759). In 1768 Francis married a Roman Catholic divorcee Anastacia Daly somewhat older than himself (he was only seven at the time of her first marriage). Horace Walpole described Francis in 1774 as "A simple young Irish peer , who had married an elderly Irish woman that had been divorced on his account, and had wasted a vast estate in the idlest ostentation". The Earl sold 'every acre of land which had been in [his] family since the time of Henry II' and moved to France . He invested his remaining funds in French Assignats - the value of which were greatly lessened by the vicissitudes of French politics caused by the Revolutions of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. On the death in 1818 Francis' titles and remaining possessions were inherited by his cousin the Marquess of Lansdowne (the Marquesses still use the title Earl of Kerry for their eldest son).

7950z
Memorandum Adolphe Einstein 1880 Eastbourne Victorian

A Victorian Memorandum from Adolphe Einstein, pawnbroker, Silversmith and General Outfitter, of Eastbourne 1880 detailing a minor local infraction by one of his neighbours.
Price: £25.00

Adolphe Einstein (c. 1845-1892) was born in Fellheim (Bavaria). At some point after 1880 Einstein anglicised his name to Instone and this name was used by his children.

One of these was Sir Samuel Instone (1878-1937) who entered business with his brother Theodore in 1908 as a coal factor and by the end of the First World War the brothers had 10 vessels shipping coal from South Wales (as well as buying the Bedwas Colliery). In 1919 Samuel and another brother, Alfred, set up an airline flying from Cardiff to Paris. In 1920 Instone is believed to be the first man to make a telephone call to an aircraft in flight (from his office to a passenger on one of his aeroplanes) and his airline was the first non-military one to have uniforms for its staff. Samuel was knighted in 1921 and in 1923 offered to employ, at his own expense, Harry Grindell Matthews who claimed to have invented a death ray as long as there was proof it worked (in order to keep the invention in Britain). Matthews refused and later claimed to have sold the ray to the Americans but would not say anything further- he later went on to work for Warner Brothers.

7817z
Victorian letter Goldsmiths' Company Belgrave Hospital Children 1899

A Victorian printed letter with manuscript additions from the Goldsmiths' Company of London to the Belgrave Hospital for Children 1899 detailing the gift of £100
Price: £25.00

The Belgrave Hospital for Children was built between 1899 and 1926 to a design by Charles Holden. The Hospital became part of the King's College Hospital Group when the National Health Service was created in 1948 but closed in 1990. It has now been converted into residential accommodation. This letter details the financial support given to the hospital at its inception (the equivalent of £8984 today).

7815z
George V receipt John Bagshaw 1925 William Blair-Bell

A George V bill issued to Dr. Blair Bell by John Bagshaw and Sons of Liverpool, 1925 (with stamp to show payment) .
Price: £25.00

William Blair-Bell (1871-1936), after training at King's College Hospital in London, became one of the leading Gynaecologists of his generation. He worked in Liverpool from 1905-1936 and from 1921-1931 served as Professor of Gynaecology at Liverpool University. In 1929 Blair-Bell was one of the founders of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (having founded the Gynaecological Visiting Society of Great Britain in 1911). When the Royal College acquired its first premises, in Queen Anne Street (London), it was through an anonymous donation from Blair-Bell.

7871
George V receipt inventory Edward Ewen Dumfries 1914 Provost

A George V receipt from Edward Ewen, Jeweller, Silversmith and Optician, of Dumfries to John Irving, Solicitor for an inventory of Thomson and Anstruther (noted as Provost Anstruther on the reverse), 1914 .
Price: £25.00

This receipt is for taking the inventory of Thomson and Anstruther in Dumfries. One of the owners of the business (the Anstruther in the firm) was Provost of Dumfries. The Provost in many scottish towns holds an office similar to that of the mayor in many English ones).

7813z
Victorian memorandum T. J. Paris Liverpool Bradbury

A Victorian memorandum from T. J. Paris of Liverpool, goldsmith, to Bradbury's of Sheffield 1874 .
Price: £20.00

This Memorandum from T. J. Paris of Liverpool , who had succeeded the noted goldsmith and collector of curiosities Joseph Mayer in 1873, to noted manufacturer Bradbury and Sons of Sheffield relates to the order of a silver tea-set (model 6711) and an electroplated kettle and stand to match.

7872
Victorian Memorandum George Holdsworth Jeweller 1900

A Victorian Memorandum from George Holdsworth, Wholesale and Retail Jeweller, of South Shields to Messrs Beaven and Company of Carlisle 1900 .
Price: £18.00

7818z
print jeweller circa 1850 A print of a jeweller, c. 1850 .
Price: £10.00
7769z
Simon Moore Spoons 1650-1930 A copy of Spoons 1650-1930 by Simon Moore (1987) .
Price: £10.00
7381z
William IV engraving Goldsmiths' Hall 1835

A William IV engraved image of Goldsmiths' Hall in London printed around 1835 for Dugdale's England and Wales delineated.
Price: £7.00

The site of Goldsmiths' Hall in London has been occupied by the Goldsmiths' Company since 1339. The building illustrated in this engraving, and still the home of the Company today, is the third to be built on the site. The former hall, built in the first half of the 17th century, was demolished in 1829 and the current building was completed in 1835. It is interesting to note that the term 'hallmarking' derives from marks struck at the Goldsmiths' Hall- the London assay office is still housed in the Hall today.


8505z